Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wondering

Ever wonder what God might have up His sleeve for you? Sometimes things happen that cause me to think about what God could do with my life if I totally surrendered to Him. Don't get me wrong, I believe that if God asked me to do something, I would without to much reservation, but I still wonder, what types of things He could accomplish through a humble servant.

It doesn't take me long to compile a full scene in my head of service to my King. Sometimes the scene is painted with a different town, or city. Sometimes I see myself serving in full-time ministry in the local church doing what I think God created me for, Worship and the Arts. I serve now at Union Chapel as the worship and arts pastor but on a part time basis. It is difficult sometimes to accomplish everything that I think I can do only serving in a part time role. To be honest, I feel restricted with what I can get done, simply because time doesn't allow for anything more. Who knows though, if I worked full-time there, I would most likely still deal with time issues.

You see for me it is very easy to get caught up in the fact that I don't have enough time to do what I would like to do for the church, and in the mean time I overlook the daily opportunities that God provides for me. As you may already know, my "full-time" job is in the welding field. I am a welder by trade and therefore I work in the field where the harvest is. But in my own selfish desires to work in the church full-time, I tend to over look the ministry opportunities that are right in front of my face.

Do I believe God placed me in the welding field for a reason? Yes I do. Do I get frustrated when my preferred career goal always seems fleeting? Yes I do, but this is something else I believe. God is God and He knows what is best for me. He knows where He can use me the most, and therefore I believe He has placed me right where I am because He see's me being useful there.

Now it is my job to let go of what I think I should be doing, and listen to what God is asking me to do right where I am at. Maybe someday God will bless me with the opportunity to work for the church full-time and use the talents and gifts I have to offer, but for now, in this season of life, I must be thankful for the work He has given me to do now.

So my question to you is this, Where has God placed you? And are you looking for those opportunities or are you wishing you were somewhere else? Be careful what you wish for, because without God leading you there, you might regret it.

Philippians 1:5-6 (NIV)

5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments: