Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Observations of Paul’s Writings

Those who sought to destroy Paul’s ministry were self righteous and jealous. For no other reason can I discover why they would want to discredit Paul and the Gospel, which he taught. Through their own boasting and jabs at Paul, they began to pull some of the Corinthians away from the message they first accepted and taught. They also tried to discredit the love and concern Paul and his ministry partners had for the church of Corinth by trying to make Paul out to be a two faced individual. In 2 Corinthians 10:10 we read, “10For some say, "His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing." (NIV) Paul’s response to this is basically saying, what you read is what you get. Paul responds this way; “11Such people should realize that what we are in our letters when we are absent, we will be in our actions when we are present.” (NIV) This is a great response. He doesn’t get defensive; he just says what the truth is albeit in a confident manner.

Paul makes a comment in chapter 10:12-18 where he implies that those who are trying to pull the Corinthians away from the message of Christ, boast in and measure themselves by themselves. Paul simply points out how absurd this is. Measuring yourself by yourself is foolish and by pointing this out, Paul discredits this attempt of sabotage on his character and ministry. He finishes this defense off by saying something I believe to be the absolute truth. 2 Corinthians 10:17-18 “17 But, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord. 18 For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.”(NIV). Brian Ritchie (personal communication, June 25, 2008), a friend of mine, once said, “God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.” I don’t think he realized how true this statement is. I believe Paul is saying in effect the same thing. If God chooses to use us, then He will do so, not vice a versa.

Finally Paul speaks to the issue of boasting and how he boasts in his weaknesses. One might ask why he would do that. I believe it is to draw attention to God, to keep Paul from getting a big head and becoming puffed up about himself. Those who boast on themselves assume the power and praise for what is happening. Paul, by boasting in Christ and in his own weakness, chooses to place the glory on Christ and not himself. 2 Corinthians 11:23-30 says: “23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?
30If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.” (NIV)

I think that when it comes to the 21st century minister and church, we can learn much from Paul. If we were to maintain a high level of humbleness in our ministries, we might do much to protect ourselves from the lure of fame, greed, power, and other things that can draw us away from Christ. Anytime we allow these types of things to creep in and become a part of us, we remove Christ from the glory seat. It is tempting for some to allow glory and praise be placed on them for what they do in their ministries, but if we remain humble and obedient to Christ, He will help us stay in a place that will be safe form outside perversion.

There are many people in our churches today that are in ministry for the wrong reasons. Among the most abused positions would be that of music and arts. In such a position it is common to be praised for doing such a good job or for being so creative. If we allow our head to get big because of it, we can become a problem for the church and for the gospel of Christ. We must always stay on guard and protect ourselves from such actions.

Paul demonstrated his love for the Corinthians by being truthful in love toward them. Gently guiding them back to the message and truth they first accepted and keeping them accountable to it. Churches today would be in a much better state of health if we had a Paul around to constantly remind of us of the goal.

No comments: