Saturday, July 18, 2009

Covenant's, do they mean anything anymore?

Tonight I lead worship at College Park UB church in Huntington. It was a blessing to be able to provide some music and to worship with them. The focus of the evening was on God's covenant and it helped me to realize that there are covenants all around. Some of you have a covenant, that being the covenant of marriage. You stood before God and many guests and promised that you would love, cherish and protect your spouse till death do you part. The problem with this is it isn't taken seriously anymore.

I know many couples who are struggling with their marriage and some who have given up and taken the easy way out and filed. I don't say that flippantly. I understand that both parties have to work to make it work, and that for some, it is a gut wrenching decision to make, but it seems all too often, papers are filed and mostly for reasons that don't warrant such action.

When I look at the church in general, I wonder if we have filed the divorce papers a little too early. Do we value and honestly believe to be true the covenant we made with God when we became Christians and said to him, yes I want to live my life for you. At the time we may have been serious, but what happens over time when the relationship starts to get stale and unfulfilling? We start looking for something new, for a way out.

As I listened to the message tonight and upon reflecting on it, I realize that everyday is a choice. Everyday in our relationships with our spouse and our relationships with God, we must choose to serve. We promised, we gave our word, we committed ourselves to this covenant for better or for worse, and we placed our lives in the hands of God. It's time we make good on that promise and start serving with all of us, with everything we have and everything we are. No reservations!

Psalm 89:20-37
2 Samuel 7:1-14a
Ephesians 2:11-22
MArk 6:30-34; 53-56

No comments: