Thursday, July 02, 2009

withdraw

For the past year or so, I have been meticulously planning for the US National Conference for the United Brethren In Christ denomination. Through that year or so, there were many meetings, many many emails and a lot of phone calls. Lot's of decisions had to be made, lot's of hurdles had to be crossed, and lot's of time was spent in vision planning, thinking, and dealing with vendors. All in all there was a lot of communication going on. The conference went great, there was much to be satisfied with as far as how things came off. I made many friends, was reacquainted with old ones and met some really neat people, some of whom I would love to get to know better.

So here it is three weeks later, and I am going through communication withdraw. I find myself looking at my email several times a day and checking Facebook in hopes that someone has decided to send me a message. I find it all really disturbing that I crave people asking me to do something or asking me to figure something out. In the absence of that, sometimes I feel like I am just existing. It is all really sad when I think about it. And to top it all off, I am off of school this week. OH NO what shall I do with no homework............

Just so you don't read this and shake your head in pity or any other form of "He's a wacko" thought, I will tell you I am learning something from it. Even though I love communication with people, even though I rather enjoy my life being somewhat busy and on the go a lot, I am starting to realize something. So here it is, check it out; I am starting to communicate with God more.

I KNOW right? It's an amazing thing, when I shut up and stop talking and listening to other people, and I sit in the quiet and absence of the hustle and bustle of life, I feel like I can hear God's still small voice calling to me, telling me He want's to talk.

Now I don't always know what He is saying, but I feel Him speaking to me. I appreciate the time to listen to what He wants to tell me. I know that I can be busy in busy work, thinking that I am doing God a favor by working so hard trying to do stuff for Him; but if I am too busy to listen to Him, how will I know what He wants me to do?

My passion to serve Him can also be a distraction from my communication with Him. I need times like this, as hard as they are on me, to have the quiet to listen to His words.

The other plus to this down time, is that I am having a blast with my boys and beautiful wife. Being able to sit in the same room with them with nothing else calling my name is a nice break. My kids are getting so big so quickly and my wife gets more and more beautiful everyday. I really don't know how I got this lucky, and this blessed. I really don't.

So the moral of my little story, is in the absence of all the noise, listen for the most important sound, God's voice.

No comments: