Friday, September 08, 2006

The Holy Spirit

Tonight I sit in Troy Michigan, where I am attending a class through Integrity Worship Institute. Tonight’s primary discussion was on Team Building with the DISC profile. It mostly deals with personality types and reveals in a snapshot, how God has made us, and how we are made up right now. The discussion went deeper into understanding the Spirit's work in worship. I realized that I have, for quite some time now, ignored the Holy Spirits role in my life. My view of the Trinity has been somewhat two sided. Often in my prayers, I address God or Jesus directly completely bypassing the Holy Spirit. I looked up some passages tonight that talk about the Holy Spirit and it's role in our lives, and what I found was quite interesting. John 14: 15-31 specifically talks about how the Holy Spirit works and why it is given to those who accept Christ.

I have read many other scriptures about the Holy Spirit, and in just about every one, it is the Holy Spirit doing the work. Guiding us, speaking to us, giving us the words to say. Teaching us, testifying on our behalf to God, being our translator and interpreter. The following are a few I’ve come across.
Matthew 1:18
Mark 12:36
Mark 13:11
Luke 4:1
Luke 1:67
Acts 9:31
Acts 13:2
(All can be viewed at www.biblegateway.com)

Going back to what I said about my default prayers, and not addressing the Holy Spirit, I think it’s crucial that we bring attention back to the importance of the Holy Spirit, and the role it plays. In Jude 1: 19-21, it says. “19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit. 20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

Holy Spirit, please forgive me. You have been instrumental in my life in so many ways, and yet I have failed to understand or see your work. Please lead me, instruct me, speak to me, work in me and work through me. Amen

No comments: