Saturday, September 23, 2006

Communion

Tomorrow we will have communion in church. Since I will be facilitating the communion time, I looked up some scripture that talks about that event in Christ's life when he broke the bread and raised the cup for that symbolic moment. I learned quite a bit actually. You see I have been taking and observing communion for quite some time now, and I have always done it soberly. No I haven't been drinking, but I've always taken communion with a very somber attitude about me. I've always been very reflective about the sacrifice made, the blood spilt and the body broken. The images that I call upon from my mind during communion are always very funeralish (if I may make up a word).

However, today I was reading in Matthew about the last supper, about the Passover Supper. I imagined the feast and the fellowship, I imagined the laughter there must have been between friends and family. All these images gave me a different look on that point in history when Christ raised the cup and began a "tradition of rememberance" that continues some 1,972 years later.

The very last verse in that section said that "when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives". I wondered what they would have sung to conclude such a feast. I looked in the notes and it said that it was most likely Psalms 115-118 that they sung. Well, after reading through Psalms 115-118, there is no way that I can recall a gloomy, sad, or somber picture for communion. Rather I will recall a picture that will be of ............. And ................. And of His glorious....................(I don't want to ruin it for you) Let's just say that tomorrow when communion is taken, for me it will be with a different spirit and picture. Let me just say that the battles may still rage, but the war has been won. Go read, and grow.

No comments: