Tuesday, October 03, 2006

But...But...But....

My 4 year old son is going through this stage where he wants to be heard and he wants his chance to plead his case. It's become almost a daily routine for us to have conversations that go something like this:

Dad: I want you to go up stairs and get your teeth brushed please.

Son: But I was playing with this puzzle.

Dad: I want you to go up stairs and get your teeth brushed right now please.

Son: But I was playing with this puzzle dad.

Dad: Go up stairs right now before you get yourself into trouble, and brush your teeth.

Son: But.... But

Dad: GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

This happens almost every day with various topics from washing hands to helping pick up toys to going to bed. It is very annoying and there are days I just want to pull my hair out and scream, or grunt as manly men do.

I was thinking about this the other day and I started to wonder how many times I've caused God to feel like this. I always have a "but" when He tells me to do something.

God: I want you to do this......

Son: But, I'm not strong enough, or smart enough, or skilled enough.

God: I want you to go do this........

Son: But, I don't have time right now can I finish this....

God: My people are dying, I want you to go do this.........

Son: But, I'm too wrapped up in my own world right now.

How many times have I ignored the voice of God? I'm not sure. I am sure of one thing, it has been far too many. We have always done this. Moses did it when God told him to go to Pharaoh. "Who am I to go to Pharaoh?" Moses said.
Jonah did it when he ran away from God after God told him to go to Nineveh.
Throughout history, men have pushed aside, ignored, ran from, tried to argue with, and tried to reason with God so their case might be heard. I don't know about God, but when I instruct my son to do something, it is for a good reason. I don't do it to ruin his fun, I don't do it because I'm mean, I don't do it because I dislike him and want him to suffer. I do it because I love him and I want the best for him, even if he doesn't see it.

Matthew 7:11
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

I don't believe God asks us to change just because. I believe He asks us to change because He knows what's best for us. And I believe that when He asks us to change, move, speak, pray, be silent and wait, it is for a good reason. And it should be done without question's or but's. Who am I to argue with God?

No comments: