Sunday, December 03, 2006

Confused by my own language

Today during the service we sang "It Is Well With My Soul", a great song with lots of visual words. During practice one of the team members made a comment that the wording didn't make sense. This is the line she was refering to:

O, Lord haste the day
When my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back
As a scroll;
The trump shall resound
And the Lord shall descend,
"Even so" it is well
With my soul.

She said that with all that verse says, Christ coming back, the trumpets sounding, our faith becoming a physical reality to our eyes, "Even So" it is well with my soul?
What does the "Even So" mean here?


Horatio G. Spafford wrote these words back in 1873, and it almost sounds like he is stating that in spite of all that is happening with Christ returning and the sky's parting, it is still well with his soul. Obviously that isn't what it is saying, but I struggled to understand it. And to sing it means nothing unless I understand what it is saying. The story behind this hymn goes like this.

This hymn was writ­ten af­ter two ma­jor trau­mas in Spaf­ford's life. The first was the great Chi­ca­go Fire of Oc­to­ber 1871, which ru­ined him fi­nan­cial­ly (he had been a weal­thy bus­i­ness­man). Short­ly af­ter, while cross­ing the At­lan­tic, all four of Spaf­ford's daugh­ters died in a col­li­sion with an­o­ther ship. Spaf­ford's wife Anna sur­vived and sent him the now fa­mous tel­e­gram, "Saved alone." Sev­er­al weeks lat­er, as Spaf­ford's own ship passed near the spot where his daugh­ters died, the Ho­ly Spir­it in­spired these words. They speak to the eter­nal hope that all be­liev­ers have, no mat­ter what pain and grief be­fall them on earth.

it is well with my soul: "Ho­ra­tio G. Spaf­ford"

I have to say, that with the way the english language is spoken today, the "Even so" still does not make any sense, however, now we know the story. And knowing the story allows me to sing the song with some knowledge as to what the author intended it to say.
Life isn't easy, and sometimes it can be just down right unbearable, however as Christians we know that it isn't the end. We may have it rough now, but there will come a day when every knee will bow and every tounge confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. And when that day comes, all our worries, all our grief, all our pain and suffering will fade away and we will live for eternity with the great and might King. So, Even though life is hard, even though I may not have it easy, Even though I may be ill, Even though I may be poor or rich, even though I may be dying, it is well with my soul, because I live in Christ.

No comments: