Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Celebrating Cultures Around The World

Tonight my family went to watch my oldest son perform in what I thought was their annual Christmas program for his elementary school. I arrived with an anticipation of watching him sing, dance, and play an instrument, and I wasn't disappointed in his fantastic performance. He really worked hard on his songs and sang them around the house a lot, in a differant language mind you. The entire evening was really good, the kids showed how they could sing many different songs in different languages, and they displayed their ability to play an African song using a verity of drums and rhythmic instruments, and it was done well. I was very please right up till the end, when they ended the evening with all the kids shouting HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Now again maybe I am picking on something small to some, but for me this is a big pet peeve. I can't stand it when someone says Happy Holidays at Christmas time. There is a reason it is called Christmas and I would prefer to leave it that way.

It got me to thinking about all the stuff that the public school system will be teaching my kids over the next several years, and it worried me. I must hope and pray that I am teaching them what they NEED to know here at home about God and His son Jesus Christ, and the truth about creation. To help them lay a strong foundation for their beliefs and convictions.

I know it seems like the last few posts have been me picking on people or things said and if I have bored you, I apologize. I just have a few things that just really rattle my cage and I have a hard time not saying anything about them.

On a lighter and more positive note, the other night I was preparing dinner for the family and my two oldest were arguing, and had been all afternoon. This too was getting on my nerves and so I began to explain to them that sometimes even though people are not being nice to us, we still need to show them love and be nice to them. I explained that people were not always nice to Jesus and yet he showed them love and kindness. At that, my oldest said, "Dad, that just made me think of something, even though my brother may be mean to me, I will still be nice to him. Like when you tell me to clean my room, I will clean mine and his too. I think that is what Jesus would do."


I can't begin to tell you just how good that made me feel, I felt like he actually heard me and that it struck a chord with him. The rest of the evening was blissful peace as they got along and treated each other with respect and kindness. Mind you that it only lasted for the night, they were back to normal the next day. However, it is my hope that they heard me that night and they will remember it.

No comments: