Monday, December 24, 2007

Foreign Language

I have this attraction to electronics, especially palm pilots and computers. I just get amazed at what they can do, especially some of the new stuff. Since I have this interest in them, I tend to mess with them alot, therefore I have learned how to do quite a bit on them. At work when the computer goes down or is giving them fits, they call me in to take a look at it. At home when we have problems, I am usually the one to try to figure it out. Not that my wife cannot, she works in the IT department at her work, so she if very competent.



There are times however, that the problems start to sound like a foreign language and go beyond my knowledge and I have to call in someone more experienced to help guide me through a set up or repair, or even to understand something more clearly. Tonight was such a night.



We went to mom and dad's for our family Christmas tonight, and while there we lost the Internet connection on their computer. Everything was working up to the computer, the server, the router, the cat5 line. Everything it seemed except for the NIC card. So we ran over to the local electronics store and grabbed a new card, came back home and installed it sure that it would solve the problem, but no luck.



I started getting messages such as: acquiring network address failed: redirecting new IP address:

stuff about the TCPI and the DSN server and blah, blah, blah...........



So now is the time I call in the one smarter than myself.... I just get so frustrated when something that seems so simple ends up being so difficult.



Sometimes I feel this way about the bible and being a Christian. The bible has so much information in it that it can be so difficult to understand almost to the point of being a foreign language. At times I sit down to start reading and I feel as though I am sitting down to an unclimbable mountain, it can be so intimidating sometimes. But the only way to climb the mountain is to put one foot in front of the other and start. So on the days I feel as though I am looking in to the face of a giant, I do just that, I start.

I always hope it will get easier, and maybe some day it will, but the important thing is that I keep trying. It's my hope that one day I will find a method that works for me, and that I will approach and ascend with a steady forward movement. I will trust in the one who is smarter than I am and ask Him to teach me how to move forward.

No comments: