Thursday, December 27, 2007

What Kind Of Soil Are You?

In Luke chapter 8, we read about the parable of the farmer sowing seed. It tells us that as the seed was sown, some fell on the path, some fell on the rocks, some fell among the thorns, and some fell in good soil. As I studied this, I came to realize that the soil is you and I, and how we respond to the seed, which is the word of God. As I read on I had to ask myself the following question: As God, (the farmer) sows His seed, (the word) on me, (the soil) what kind of soil does that seed fall on?

I always thought of myself as good soil solely based on my faith in Christ and my service to further the Kingdom of Heaven. However, as I thought about how I don’t read the bible as I ought to, how I find myself being so busy with “church stuff” that I don’t have time to go to bible study, and how I don’t share that seed or word with my family as I ought to, I found that my soil isn’t good after all.

I can be pretty sure that I am not the path, which, are those who hear the word but reject it. I don’t believe that I am among the rocks, which, gets the seed and starts to grow, but dies because the rock prevents roots from growing and therefore has no means of getting moisture. I most likely fall into the thorn category. Thorns can be representative of anything that distracts me from the word of God. Often I find myself wanting to sit down and read the bible only to be distracted with something else I deem important i.e.: church stuff.

I go to church on Wednesday nights for practice and usually arrive around 5:30 and stay until 10:30. Now you would think that would be enough time to do whatever I have to do and still have time to attend the adult bible study from 6:30 – 7:30. But I always seem to find something to take up the time, thinking all along that I am doing well because I’m at church.

Sunday school is another opportunity for me to sit down and soak up the word, yet I find my mind wandering during class to the events of the morning. How things went, what we could have done differently, how and what we will do next week, yadda, yadda, yadda.

There are so many things that grow up next to the word (seed) that seem good, however in the end, they only strangle the word to death.

So my situation is that of thorns and dying seed. I must find a way to cultivate my soil so that the word that falls on me can grow and multiply a hundred fold as the scripture says. I must start to prioritize my life and ministry so that the word has good soil to land on. Life comes from the word and the word from the mouth of God.

I hope you stop to analyze your soil, test it and see if it is good. Don’t assume that it is because in the end you might be disappointed to find out differently. Cultivate your soil by preparing it, make time everyday to read God’s word, attend that bible study you have been putting off, go to Sunday school class, join a home study group that is really studying the bible and not just getting together and talking. Make very opportunity you can so that when the word falls on you, it will take root and grow and multiply.

No comments: