Friday, January 19, 2007

Abels Sacrifice

The little things always seem to get by me, when I read the bible. I always miss the little clues that are there that indicate other information. Like tonight, I was doing a bible study on the "worship of the Tabernacle" The study started in Genesis to lay the ground work, and the reading was on Adam and Eve and then Cain and Abel and their offerings to God. God accepted Abel's offering but did not accept Cains. Abel brought as an offering the fat portions from some of the newborn of his flock, and God accepted it. So when Cain brought an offering of grain or a crop offering of his field, God didn't accept it. I didn't get it at first until I read Hebrews 9:22. It states that blood must be shed in order for the sins to be covered. God didn't accept Cains offering because it was of Cains hard work and sweat, therefore of his hands, and there was nothing to be sacrificed to cover the sins.

In Genesis, when Adam and Eve had eaten from "the tree of good and evil", their eyes were opened and they saw their nakedness. They made clothing from fig leaves and hid in the garden from God. When God found them he questions them and then he makes garments of skin to cloth them. This is one of the things I never thought of. Where did the skins come from? Some of the animals had to die to cover the sins of Adam and Eve. And I think they knew that God had to kill or sacrifice some of his creation to cover the sins they had committed. I can see it now, God saying to them both, "See what you have done, see the consequences of your actions. Innocent blood must be shed in order for me to even look at you." OH the guilt and shame

So it started way back then, blood being shed to cover sins. Only thing is, that's all it did was cover the sins. Christ's blood was the ONLY blood that could forgive those sins.

Just thought I would share the little things I miss every once in a while :-)

No comments: