Wednesday, January 03, 2007

As One!

Tuesday I stayed home from work to tend to my son who had come down with the flu. While making his bed with fresh sheets, I heard a long low rumble outside that seemed to last forever. I glanced up to the sky through his window but didn't see anything. I took one more look and noticed some jet trails. The odd thing was they were all evenly spaced about 6 in all, side by side streaking through the sky. I went outside to see what was going on and realized what I saw was a refueling wing. A large tanker in the middle with about three F-15 fighter jets on either side. If you have never seen a refueling wing in action, you are missing some amazing aerobatics and some stunning acts of being "one". As the large fueling tanker flies steady in the middle, the jets flying along act as extensions of the wings of the tanker. As the tanker turns the fighter jets turn in kind and it looks like one large plane flying through the sky, or like a large "V" of geese. I watched in admiration of the skill and precision it takes to fly this pattern.

As I thought about it later that day, I thought about how we as disciples of Christ, should be just like that formation. Christ being the tanker, we being the thirsty jets. When the Jets need fuel, they fall in line and mimic the movements of the tanker, becoming one with the it. We as disciples of Christ, need what He has in order for us to keep flying so to speak. We should mimic the actions of Christ so as to look like one with Him. I know it may be a simple thing, but I thought it was neat. Planes are one of my favorite things to watch, now when I do, I will always be reminded of how closely I must follow Christ in order to be like Him. Have blessed day.

No comments: