Thursday, July 03, 2008

Independence Day


Happy Independence Day to all. I had the chance today, to listen to a talk show while I made some deliveries for work. They were talking about the history of the Declaration of Independence and what it meant. I have to admit that I didn't remember exactly all that it said, so tonight I sat down and read it line for line. I found it to be very inspiring that a group of people that had been oppressed, ignored, and pushed down, found it within themselves to stand for what they believed to be right and in their best interest. They rallied together and drew up the Declaration of Independence thereby separating themselves from the world super power Great Britain.

I think about where we are as a nation, and how we seem to loose sight of where we came from and what this country stands for. Although at times we feel oppressed (allbeit in small ways compared to the start of this great nation) but when you look at what is happening, we are slowly loosing our civil liberties, and we are being forced to pay outrageous prices for fuel. Obviously these are just few, but I did not intend this to be a rant. Rather, I intended to encourage us in this, That we are the United States of America. We are a free nation founded by men that feared God and knew how to stand up for what they thought to be right. I believe that this is still part of the American DNA. I have faith that this great nation will continue to be a free nation, a nation that sometimes strays from it's roots, but will ultimately come back to what it was meant to be. I believe that this can happen when the free people of this nation continue to stand up for what is right, true and just; and continue to be a God fearing nation

I would encourage you to read the Declaration of Independence, if for nothing else, to remind you of how we came to be, and from where we get our great resolve and tenacity.

No comments: