Thursday, September 04, 2008

Conflicting Views

The knock at the door, or the ringing of the doorbell usually brings excitement as we think, "Someone came to see me, who could it be?" Only to find a salesman or a Jehovah's Witness. Well this happened to us this week. I was up getting the kids to bed, and I heard a knock at the door. Lisa was fortunate enough to answer it and was greeted by two young men from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I came down the steps and stood at the door as they gave their spiel, and then proceeded to ask us some questions. Now usually at this point, I say, I am a Christian and pull the worship pastor card out and they say thanks and leave. This time I wanted to talk to them. I felt a desire to question them, talk with them, explore their mind a little. I stepped out side with my wife, and she made the same move only she went inside and disappeared. Chicken :-) just kidding she had to go finish with the kids.

I talked with these folks for about an hour. Their shared their views, and I shared mine. They quoted scripture, I did as well. They expressed concern for me like I was missing out on something. I expressed concern for them know they were. right before they left, the more confident of the two, encouraged me to pray with an open mind tonight and to ask God to reveal to me the truth. He was confident that God would tell all about Joseph Smith and the Mormon faith and how real it is. I told him not only would I pray to God that night. I would also pray for them. I told them I would pray that if they were wrong, (as I believe they are) that God would reveal himself to them, as only God can do, and redirect their paths to Jesus Christ and a life serving Him only.

After we said our goodbyes and they left, I went in and prayed for them. For the first time in my life, I took an opportunity that was given to me when it came to someone of another faith, and stood toe to toe with them about what the bible says. It felt good to stand up for what I believe in, and to do so without fear of what they thought about me or how they felt about what the bile said. God's word has power, and I believe that if they investigate for themselves the things we talked about, they will find God waiting with open arms.

1 Peter 3:15 says; "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,.."

And Isaiah 7:96 says; "If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all."

Stand firm in your faith, so when the opportunity arises for you to share it, you may do so with the boldness of Jesus Christ. I am still learning this attribute, and I must say, I like it.

No comments: